[Equest-users] G3.1.2.8 Interpretation Return Fans

omoltay at mimtarch.com omoltay at mimtarch.com
Wed Feb 24 09:00:32 PST 2010

Dear All,

I would like to get your opinions on whether my interpretation of the
following regarding G3.1.2.8 is correct:

My proposed building is conditioned by fan coils and air handler unit
providing ventilation air. In such a system, there are only supply fans
(AHU supply, FCU supply) and exhaust fans (AHU exhaust). There is no
recirculation.

For the baseline case, according to G3.1.1A, I am modeling System 5 -
Packaged VAV with reheat. I am confused about whether to model return fans
with this.

G3.1.2.8 says that if the proposed case has return/relief fans, then the
baseline case should be modeled with these as well.

Does this mean I need to count the exhaust fans in proposed as
return/relief fans and model these in baseline as well in line with
G3.1.2.8?

Thank you for any replies,

Omer Moltay, LEED AP
Mimta Ltd.