[Equest-users] Wiki for eQuest?

John Aulbach jra_sac at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 21:53:22 PST 2010

A few comments on eQuest..

1) The program is a bit like the card game bridge. You can play it straight, or you can play by the seat of your pants. I choose the latter.

2) Don't expect eQuest to stir you a martini, fetch your morning paper, or be your slave. It works for 80% of whatever energy dynamics you need. Not 100%. Unless you are seeking a post doctoral thesis. Then try another program.

3) We ALL have hit dead ends. The biggest nemesis seems to be USGBC. But then they seem to LOVE eQuest, as most of the assumption are easily found in the eQuest front end. Sure beats the DOE-2.1A days when we were unsure what SS-A was vs. SS-B. Explanations are much clearer now (even if we don't believe the results).

4) If you want total honesty, Submeter the HELL out of an existing building for 6 months. THEN you will have ALL your answers. But WHO has the BUDGET or the TIME?

Sir, keep asking your questions to BLDG-SIM. Just don't say "I am new to eQuest and I need to model the Taj Mahal to LEED Platinum, and I have a day to do it. Can you help?"

Not unless you pay some of these EXCELLENT modelers for their time. Amazingly, most of us ACTUALLY work, and our bosses expect us to concentrate on THEIR needs. As we can answer, we do. But some of these questions TAKE TIME, which occassionally we do not have.

So please hang in there..