[Equest-users] Wiki for eQuest?

STEVE SAMENSKI steve at thespinnakergroupinc.com
Sun Feb 14 07:15:05 PST 2010

John ‹ thanks for your comments. I see your messages on here a lot and
you¹re clearly someone who knows the program, so I value your viewpoint.  If
I get the wiki up and running (have had a few positive responses so far) I
hope you¹ll stop by to add the line about the martini.  (I like mine shaken
with ice.)

I see increased interest in energy modeling services.  In my area it¹s being
driven by LEED.  Many engineers find their way to eQuest (possibly because
it¹s free) and it seems that the skills that make the best design engineers
don¹t always make the best energy modelers.  I review the energy model
templates uploaded for projects on which we consult and I see the same
problems and frustrations from the design community.  I¹d like to make it a
little bit easier for people to get good results out of eQuest.  Managing
the expectations of users would go a long way toward reducing frustration.

Some actors in the industry are ramping up to support modeling.  ASHRAE
seems to have recognized the need: I recently sat for the BEMP exam at the
winter conference.  (It was tough!)  Other actors. . .not so much.  I
checked with the software vendors at the conference and best I can tell no
one is trying to develop THE standard software for Appendix G energy
modeling.  (AutoDesk would be a natural here, but they seem to be focused on
Revit.  Anything they develop would be an adjunct to that.)

So that¹s why I thought about the wiki.  If I had had a resource like that
when I first downloaded eQuest, I would have known what I was getting in to.

Steve Samenski, PE, LEED AP