[Equest-users] Humidity control in PSZ Heat Pump system in Base design (CRAC unit modeling)

Peter Worley peter.worley at arup.com
Mon Jul 12 08:01:36 PDT 2010

Derek,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're running in to, but I thought I'd share what I learned over the weekend re: modeling CRAC units using PSZ systems, with humidity control.

I have set up my CRAC unit as a PSZ with DX cooling and electric heat + humidification. Required space conditions are 70 degF +/-5 degF and 50% RH +/- 5% RH; supply air is 55 degF. Initially, in an hourly report, I saw that space temperature and high humidity level were being met. However, the low humidity limit was not being met. In fact, the unit's return air humidity ratio was tracking the OA humidity ratio (as low as 15% RH at 70 degF), until it reached the high limit (dehum worked fine). This tracking was particularly strange as the unit is 100% recirculation (0 CFM outside air). Further checking showed that no heat was being used by the humidification coil, even though it was installed and set properly.

After some back and forth, I tried setting the outside air quantity at 0.0001% (~1 CFM OA, for this particular unit). A re-run and re-check of the hourly data showed that all required conditions (including the low humidity level) were being met. Strange, no? In my case, I don't think it would impact the energy consumption at all. Theoretically, I shouldn't need any humidification if I don't have any outside air coming in (I haven't modeled any moisture losses, and my 55 degF off-coil condition (55 degF DP) won't remove moisture from the 70 degF, 50% RH (50.5degF DP) room air).

If you're seeing something similar, some questions to think about are: what are the conditions that you're trying to achieve? What is your supply air condition? How much outside air are you bringing in? Do you have any moisture losses (infiltration)? I hope that's of some help. If not to you, than to someone else!

Regards,
Pete

Peter Worley
Mechanical Engineer

155 Avenue of the Americas  New York  NY  10013  USA
t +1 212 229 2669  d +1 212 897 1339
f +1 212 229 1056
www.arup.com