[Equest-users] Heat Rejection consumption is so small!!

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 11:45:44 PDT 2010

Hi Omar,

here are my thoughts based on your questions and info.

First, when I read the condenser/heat rejection baseline requirements from
90.1-2007 I interpret that it is not indicating two separate condenser
loops, it is stating "individual condenser loop pumps per chiller", there
for you would still have one condenser circulation loop serving both
chillers and one cooling tower.

Next, if you have heard from designers with experience in the Lebanon
climate characteristics that your heat rejection energy should be upwards of
10% then you could/should trust thier given experience.  However; you need
to ask them what is this 10% relative too?   Are they implying that 10% of
the whole building end use energy should be around 10% for the Lebanon
climate?   (my opinion:  I doubt it.)   Are they implying that 10% of the
Chilled Water System end use energy (i.e. CHW-chiller, CHW-pumps,
CHW-condenser water systems including pumps & tower, etc?)   (my opinion:  I
would guess that this 10% value is relative to HVAC system(s) end use
energy, not *whole building* end use energy.  Or is that 10% relative only
to the chilled water-side of the systems (extracted from the total HVAC
energy which would include heating energy.)

Last,  if you would like to attach your .pd2 & .inp file myself, or maybe
others might be available to peruse your project file and give you some
indication if your end use heat rejection energy is falling within a
reasonable whole building energy range.

p.s.  if you are using a unique (non-eQuest) Lebanon climate weather file,
please attach that too so that I can run your file on my computer.

pkg