[Equest-users] PSZ Very High Unmet Hours

Dakota Kelley dakotak at teliospc.com
Thu Jul 29 16:33:46 PDT 2010

The system as Adam described it appears to be (mostly) constant-volume, variable-temperature.  If there are no VAV boxes and the supply fan VFD is controlled by building pressure, then it sounds like it is supposed to be a safety back-up for the relief system.  If the relief system is properly designed and balanced, I don’t see the supply volume fluctuating much.  I also don’t see it fluctuating in the model if the Min Flow Ratio is left at 1.0.

The unmet hours are out of control because of the factors listed below.

·         The issue John and Demba raised of an 80 F heating supply temperature.

·         On top of a low heating supply temperature and no reheat, there are no baseboards or other forms of zone-level heat for RTU-4, 3, and 2.  However, RTU-1 has them…?

·         It is extremely difficult for a single-zone system to satisfy 19 separate zones (RTU-4).  It is impossible for a single-zone system to do so if there is no zone-level heating.

·         Using an interior control zone that appears to be a 175 sqft storage room (RTU-1).  This control zone is adjacent to “walking cooler”, which has a connected internal load of 57 kW (34.2 kW peak demand), 1.0 sensible heat ratio, and is 170 sqft.  A walk-in cooler rejects heat outside the building, so the sensible heat ratio should be zero.  The control zone is also adjacent to the kitchen with 21.13 kW of connected electric power and 862 kBTH of connected gas load, both of which have sensible ratios of 1.0.  This heat is having a huge influence on the control zone, which is why it is constantly in cooling mode while the rest of the zones are in heating mode.

·         Not having a morning warm-up schedule

·         Allowing eQUEST to allocate supply air to the zones – entering design flow rates (supply, exhaust, and OA) at the zone level ensures each zone is getting the airflow it was designed for.

I changed the system type for the four RTUs to be PVVT with the heating supply capped at 80 F, and I was at least able to get the control zones satisfied.  I would recommend discussing the design with the mechanical engineer to ensure it is properly represented in the model.  The diversity of space needs and building orientation does not appear to be well-suited for single-zone control.

Thanks,

DAKOTA KELLEY

Project Designer | Energy Analyst

                              Office: 214.744.6199

                              Cell: 214.280.3825

                              Fax: 214.744.0770

http://www.teliospc.com <http://www.teliospc.com/>          3535 Travis St. Suite 115

dakotak at teliospc.com <mailto:dakotak at teliospc.com>             Dallas, TX 75204

| MEP ENGINEERING · ENERGY MODELING · LEED CONSULTATION · COMMISSIONING |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,

And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you

are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and delete this email from all computers.  Any

distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright © 2009 Telios Corporation.