[Equest-users] eQuest Forum Courtesy

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 30 09:41:56 PDT 2010

Vidya:

You are welcome.  Actually the response to your query was one reason I wrote the Administrator.

My background is as a licensed HVAC contractor, mechanical designer and energy auditor/CEM/CEA/CBCP.  I have audited many buildings and worked on multiple designs where a variable air volume air handler was existing or was specified without any VAV terminal devices.

Usually the static pressure of the fan is reset based on a space temperature - discharge air temperature algorithm.  In a typical investment grade audit, I will specify that a VFD be installed on the fan and that the CFM be reduced as the outside air temperature drops, since we do not need as much air for heating as for cooling.  Remember, reducing the CFM of a centrifugal fan just 20% will reduce the kW input almost by half.

It is not the best way to control a VFD,
 but it works, saves energy and has been approved on many occasions during the incentive review by the utility company PE.  The sizable incentives that I have received for this strategy is indicative that it works. I have also returned to the site during the monitoring and verification phase and the energy savings have been confirmed.

Good luck with eQuest,

Paul Diglio