[Equest-users] dd wizard - invalid argument

Bruce Easterbrook bruce5 at bellnet.ca
Mon Jun 14 18:50:09 PDT 2010

     You did have an error in your electric rate but obviously if it is
not now involved it probably is not the main problem.  That leaves the
roof.  If you have several custom floors when you create them in the DD
wizard they will all have roofs.  If they are stacked you will have
embedded roofs if you have not gone in and removed them which you can't
do in the DD wizard.  They will only effect floor to floor heat transfer
and maybe eQuest will give them a solar load I don't know.  eQuest will
run with them if they are technically (geometrically) correct.  The
problem is you can't see them in the 3D view if they are covered by
other floors and easy visual check to see if they are geometrically
correct is not possible.  That will cause eQuest to crash.  You may be
able to cheat a little.  eQuest will show external surfaces in a red
outline in the 3D view.  If this is may be your problem go to the
building shell tab to one of the floors and highlight the roof in tree
pane.  Switch to your 3D view and hold your control key and with your
left mouse held down rotate the 3D model.  It will switch to wire frame
and the roof surface will be highlighted in red.  I can't remember how
to turn on the wire frame view but that is possible to do as well.
Maybe someone monitoring this will refresh my memory.  I think you have
a roof geometry problem and geometry problems are a pain in the ass.
     The other thing I have noticed and I'm not sure quite why but if
there was an error and you have corrected it, the program may have not
actually accommodated the change yet.  My guess is, the program runs in
a linear fashion start to finish.  A change will probably get added to
the end of the program as a addition or change.  When the program is run
again it is using the original file and then the additions, but the
error is still there and the program hits it first and crashes.  I have
found when doing major changes it is best just to save the file, close
it and re-open it.  eQuest will then reorder the file and it probably
won't crash if you did correct the error.  Run a simulation and you will
get much better error messages as to what the problem is.  I have
adjusted my trouble shooting technique to this method in the last few
weeks and have seen many errors disappear once the file is
reinitialized.  It has saved many hours of banging my head on the wall.
     This is not specifically for you Aaron, just a general observation
(tangent).  I have noticed a few guides in the last week or so to help
new comers but no one has mentioned reinitializing the project.  It may
be an obscure point but I think it saved me about 30% of my hours on my
latest project.  One of the biggest things with eQuest is to get it
running and keep it running as you build your model.  Start simple,
initially, heat transfer surfaces are important, zones are important,
windows are not, schedules are not, utilities are not, constructions are
not, layers are not, HVAC systems and their zones are not.  Geometry is
CRITICAL.  eQuest will choke with a vertex error of .01, Carol(e) is
"anal on this point", lol, but she knows what she is talking about.  She
and Pasha both agree and no doubt will add wisdom if they have any
pointers to add.  I should add a plug for Nick as well, another heavy
hauler on this site with major experience beyond his years.  Start
simple, get the box(es), and surfaces correct.  Zones initially can be
artificial with the future HVAC system in mind _but also_ to assist with
the geometry.  Specifically, in dealing with other floors and roofs.  An
un-named eQuest instructor will attest to this, it is easier to
manipulate your zoning to assist in your geometry problems and put them
together later to accommodate your HVAC model than create the surfaces
on the fly in detailed edit. Especially with 40 students watching!
eQuest can be humbling even for experts.  NEVER get 30 hours in without
testing and running it many times on the path.  Lots of saves, build
your files as well as the model.  The simulation at this point is for
confirmation your model is running and for error messages.  A tiny error
in geometry will crash the file.  There is no point doing anything but
the bare minimum until the geometry is correct.  It will crash your
project with minimal error messages, maybe none, eQuest will just
freeze.  Once the geometry is correct keep adding to the complexity one
step at a time, test and confirm, fix errors, save, then the next step.
I know it sounds plodding, it is.  Methodical is a much classier word.
Efficient is more to the point.  I contract so when everything blows up
I don't get paid.  I eat the hours for my mistakes.  In the end it is
all similar, whether it is the boss pounding on the door or the client,
the deadline has arrived, eQuest is not cooperating and you are ready to
toss the computer out the window, your name is mud.  Plodding is smart.
     Sorry for the digression Aaron, the Voodoo thread was interesting
and I didn't get to add my 2 cents worth.  I was in a swamp with
alligators at the time.  On the other hand I did learn a lesson about
reinitialization.  You learn by doing and making mistakes.
Bruce