[Equest-users] Chilled Beams Modeling

Vikram Sami VSami at lasarchitect.com
Tue Mar 9 10:43:06 PST 2010

I've done this only once, but here's how I went about it:

You model the chilled beam system as an induction unit (assuming it s a
passive chilled beam). You will need to model it's OA from a DOAS
system. Since the chilled beam system itself does not use fan energy you
will need to set your kW/cfm at zero. The fan energy gets captured at
the air handler. Now with the lab I was modeling the chilled beam was
running on 100% OA, so this was a valid approach.

 If the chilled beam air handler has recirculation air (return air),
this might not be a valid approach.

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Direct Phone 404-253-1466 | Direct Fax 404-253-1366

LORD, AECK & SARGENT ARCHITECTURE