[Equest-users] Queries

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Tue May 4 02:24:42 PDT 2010

Piyush,

I can help with 01., but I do not understand the concept of alternating
solar gain factor that you are referring too, or maybe I just don't
understand the question exactly.

For 01. I have always known the symbols of heating energy to be referenced
as (+) for cooling and (-) for heating although I can't give you the exact
reference this nomenclature comes from.  In terms of the positive for
cooling energy it is a description for heat energy being present in the
conditioned space(s)/building in terms of heat energy being gained (or
generated.)  Where the negative symbol is used to represent heating energy
this is describing that heat energy from the space/zone is being
lost via....whatever the mechanism (i.e. ext. wall or window conduction
losses, to exhaust air heat energy loss from the building, to infiltration
effects, etc.)

As long as you can keep your symbols managed with in your own simulation
work don't let this little quirk stop you from reporting your numbers in
your preferred format.  It is good that you are asking these types of detail
questions so that you can ensure your own foundation of understanding for
the tools you use.  This is what makes a good energy simulator.   Keep
asking questions, this list is a HUGE benefit from my experience.

pasha