[Equest-users] Daylighting Strategy for different zones

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue May 11 13:30:33 PDT 2010

Carol/Omar,

We should take care to avoid confusion/misunderstanding from mixing
similar topics - the advice I responded with earlier applies
specifically to daylighting controls, where Carol's applies to occupancy
sensor controls.

I would personally consider modeling on/off daylighting controls using a
schedule, when the daylighting control inputs are easy to specify with
greater resulting model accuracy over a modeled year, to be a somewhat
"contrived" and time-inefficient solution.  That's not to say this would
be necessarily inappropriate - there are many cases where modeling
daylight controls requires a "contrived solution," as there are definite
limitations to what can and can't be modeled explicitly for hourly
daylight controls behavior within eQuest.

To be blunt:  If someone is using a schedule to model daylighting
control behavior in eQuest, it means either

(A) they do not understand the tools available to them, and/or

(B) they understand the limitations in eQuest's daylighting inputs /
modeled behavior and are compensating for such shortcomings as they may
apply, and/or

(C) they're using a more specialized program outside of eQuest to
determine such hourly fractional figures.

As with many things, note there are limitations to what you can really
do in the wizards.  Detailed mode allows for multiple and distinct
daylighting control schemes per space/shell as needed, with all the
wizard preset behaviors available as well as the ability to tweak them
or define your own dimming/switching behaviors.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway