[Equest-users] eQuest - outside air heating issues

David Reddy david.j.reddy1 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 10:16:16 PDT 2010

One problem to be aware of, especially if you are creating your project
with an older version of eQUEST, is that unless you specify a
SYSTEM:MIN-AIR-SCH with the appropriate night-time values (either ~0.0
for no OA, or 0.001 for nighttime economizer operation), night cycling
of the systems (as specified by Appendix G) will include the minimum OA
flow.  90.1 requires OA dampers to be closed whenever the system runs
during unoccupied hours (there are some exceptions), and in many
climates, this will lead to excess nighttime heating energy.  Also,
since the 90.1 baseline building typically has poorer envelope
performance, the baseline systems are likely to cycle more at night, and
therefore, not including this schedule will make the proposed building
incorrectly appear better.  One issue with specifying nighttime
economizer operation (Schedule flag = 0.001), is that for multizone
systems, even during unoccupied hours, the economizer will be used to
maintain the MIN-SUPPLY-T or COOL-MAX-RESET-T.  During heating periods,
this can lead to unnecessary reheat energy, which can be somewhat
mitigated by setting an appropriate ECONO-LOW-LIMIT temperature.  I
typically prefer to just set the nighttime MIN-AIR-SCH value to some
small value (to simulate damper leakage), since most of the buildings I
have analyzed have not needed a significant amount of nighttime cooling.

I believe OA control options during night cycling were added as an
explicit wizard option in the last eQUEST release.  In the wizard,
setting the Cycle Fans at Night property to "Cycle Fans (no OA at
night)" will create both a MIN-AIR-SCH with nighttime OA values to 0.0
and set the NIGHT-CYCLE-CTRL keyword.   However, this reinforces
Jeremy's suggestion to check a few detailed SYSTEM and other command
hourly reports (this issue would not be apparent int he SV-A or other
summary reports) to make sure your model is behaving as expected...

David Reddy

360 Analytics
Building Energy Analysis Consultants
mail:	12354 16th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125
phone:	206.406.9856
email:	david at 360-Analytics.com