[Equest-users] modifying a shell created in the wizard

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 11:18:45 PDT 2010

I agree with Bill, in general. For me it is easiest to start with the DD
wizard and very carefully us it to the hilt related to spaces and their
associated thermal zones. Use it under advisement for the HVAC zones &
equipment. Then I move  into Detailed edit. Lastly, I confirm it all using
BDL, But that's cause I'm an old fart (not as old as John Aulbach, though).
As long as you have the R-value you want between your house and the outside
some where, ceiling or roof, you are close. Remember always UA delta T = Q.
I love pretty pictures, too, though.

Mea culpa to all, or whatever,

Carol Gardner, PE

PS I have a Master's degree! In science....

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Bishop, Bill <wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>wrote:

>  Jacob,
>

> It is much easier to make changes to thermal zone definitions in the wizard
> than in the detailed edit mode. As a rule, do the best you can defining the
> zones in the wizard before you spend time making changes in DD edit mode,
> since these changes will be undone if you go back into the wizard later.
>

> For the vaulted ceiling roof zone, I would put the ceiling back and make it
> “air wall” construction to model heat transfer between the roof zone and the
> zone below. Change the roof zone to conditioned (assuming the wizard left it
> as unconditioned) and assign it to the same HVAC system as the zone below.
>

> Regards,
>
> Bill
>

> *William Bishop, EIT, BEMP, LEED® AP **|** **Pathfinder Engineers &
> Architects LLP***
>
> Mechanical Engineer
>

> 134 South Fitzhugh Street
> Rochester, NY 14608
> T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114
> F: (585) 325-6005
>
> wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
>
> www.pathfinder-ea.com
>
> P May is National Bike Month. Bike to Work Day May 21st.

Carol Gardner PE