[Equest-users] [Bldg-sim] Right sizing of equipment aka sleeping giant

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Tue May 25 14:30:59 PDT 2010

My thought process-

I have had a few designs which had meeting rooms which could hold a large
number of people.  If I were to size the equipment for the max number of
people on the hottest day the equipment size would be a few tons larger.

Example.  A high school youth room in a church on the third (top) floor with
a max occupancy of 30 people.

My conclusion.  If 30 high school kids try to meet in that room at 4:00 p.m.
in the middle of summer, that room will get warm.... They should find another
room.  The sanctuary isn't likely going to be in use at 4:00.

There have been other meeting rooms I have used this line of thought. So far
I have only applied it to meeting rooms.  Simple, if you try to pack a
meeting room with people on a hottest day at the hottest part of the day, it
may get hot.  It isn't a poor design, it is using the 'art' of engineering.

Best advice.  Talk to the owner.  There is a lot of equipment sizing
reduction opportunity by finding the 'worse practical' design conditions as
opposed to the typical 'worst possible' conditions.

Two other examples of this which another designer shared with me.
1. Schools don't usual hold classes in the summer.  Find the peak during
school months, not in July.  The design will typically be large enough to
handle summer school.  And this condition can be modeled to check.
2. Christmas and Easter are not in the summer.  And services are usually in
the morning.  A church typically has no need for a system to be designed for
100% at 4 p.m. in the summer.

(This doesn't help for LEED since you must use the same schedules as the
baseline, but it helps in actual energy savings.  This could actually hurt
you in LEED with UNMET hours if you don't modify your schedule to match your
assumptions.)

*I am really enjoying this sharing of information.  Thank you all.*

John Eurek
LEED AP
Mechanicl P.E. in waiting (still 3 weeks to see if I passed)