[Equest-users] FW: Solar panels

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Nov 8 11:41:49 PST 2010

It has been awhile since my last PV studies (they were for fixed units,
not tracking), but I did manage to account for everything within
eQuest... maybe what I can recall will help:

Specific to the "how" to account for PV arrays' effects on a roof or
other building surface's envelope loads, you really can learn it all by
just exploring the required inputs in detailed mode.  Create a 'dummy'
PV module with made up values under the utility tab, then create an
electric generator of the type photovoltaic array.  When you do this you
can explore all the variables regarding how they're mounted
(coverage/standoff/surface/tilted/etc).  In doing so you can select the
roof surface which is being shaded.  Parametric runs for each variable
can help you find a "sweet spot" specific to your site for each of those
variables.

Alternatively, I just popped in and it looks like you could also define
all the geometries by first making building shades of the appropriate
geometry/orientation/etc. and then assigning those within the electric
generator window tabs.... Seems like extra work but then you could have
them in your 3D view if that matters to you.

Alan's right to think of them first as a shade, but fixed panels can be
a little trickier when it comes to the building envelope loads.  I can't
speak for other programs (and I don't doubt there are simpler options
from a UI perspective), but I know eQuest does go so far as to account
for the degree of convection between your roof surface and panels
(working from weather data wind speed) and the rate of transfer through
the panels, beyond just accounting for direct solar loads.  For any
faults with complexity it does seem to do a sophisticated job of
modeling PV generation.

On a related note, I'd be somewhat surprised if any alternative programs
don't allow you to define properties of the inverter equipment... those
losses can be a pretty big deal for any ROI study, iirc.  In any case,
Peter's suggestion to use an outside program to work out the power
generation is not something I disagree with, but I just wanted to be
suggest if you go that route to consider what's possible within eQuest
to accurately account for the arrays' envelope effects.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway