[Equest-users] loop to loop heat pump for preheat coils

Alper Erten Alper.Erten at BuroHappold.com
Thu Oct 21 00:02:25 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate a heat pump which will recover heat from chilled water return pipes to provide preheat for the dedicated outdoor air units in a cooling dominated building. This is my first time trying to model heat recovery with heat pumps, so I appreciate any help with it.

The chilled water system is a district cooling plant which I modeled using a chilled water meter. The heat pump would be in operation only when there is a cooling demand and will be providing heat for LTHW loop which will have preheat coils attached to it. The remaining heating is done via electric resistance heating coils of the air side system which i modeled as a constant volume single zone system.

I am not sure if this the correct way but I am trying to use a loop-to-loop heat pump with default library performance curves; but couldn't figure out which loop types are appropriate for it? This heat pump type seems to require a condensing water loop which is not present in the actual building design, do I still have to create one in the model? Also the regular condensing water loop is not appropirate to be attached to a loop-to-loop heat pump. Does this have to be a lake/well loop?

I am also trying to simulate a similar type of heating for the domestic hot water. In the actual system, service water is preheated to an intermediate temperature via heat pumps that recover heat from the chilled water loop return and the secondary stage heating is done via electric resistance water heaters. Is it possible to model this in Equest?

Thanks in advance,
Alper Erten, PE, LEEDAP

This message has been scanned by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com