[Equest-users] F-Factor to U-Value

Kelsey VanTassel KVanTassel at sustaineng.com
Thu Oct 14 10:20:49 PDT 2010

Hmm, now that I am looking at it again, I am not sure I am doing it right either. I thought the F-factor presented in the tables was already correcting for the R-value of the slab and soil, but now I'm not sure. I may be double-counting.

I ran into this problem too because in wizard mode, the menu of insulation configurations for slab-on-grade floors did not have the particular combination I needed. Here's what you can do in detailed edit mode instead:

1.       On a space-by-space basis (or for the whole floor if it is all heated or unheated slab) calculate the R-value of the fictitious layer of insulation covering the slab:

Equivalent R-value = ((F-factor * Exposed Perimeter length)/Area of space or floor)^-1

(hint for determining exposed perimeter length: just add up all the widths of the exterior walls for that space. Double-click on the first exterior wall in the component tree and then press the down arrow in the menu to page through the list of just exterior walls)

2.       Create a custom material of type Resistance with this R-value.

3.       Create (or modify) the underground floor construction using the following layers (outside to inside):

·         Material you just made

·         Light soil damp 12 in

·         6 in HW (140lb) concrete

Kelsey Van Tassel
Mechanical Engineer | kvantassel at sustaineng.com<mailto:kvantassel at sustaineng.com>
608.836.4488 ext. 20 | Fax: 608.836.4477

Sustainable Engineering Group
901 Deming Way, Suite 201
Madison, WI 53717
www.sustaineng.com<http://www.sustaineng.com/>