[Equest-users] Thoughts on EnerryPro Software

Christopher Zabaneh czabaneh at davislangdon.us
Fri Sep 10 09:31:17 PDT 2010

Hi Chris - In short, EnergyPro v5 does VRF really well for CA Title 24 and for 90.1/LEED

Just follow the structure from the tutorial files. You have to make sure that if an evaporator servers two spaces with different occupancies then you have to split it into two zones and divvy the evaporator proportionately (currently their VRF can only do one occupancy per zone). I've found the LEED modules also helpful. Yes Paul is right in that Mitsubishi helped provide the calcs. You cannot, however, differentiate between a two-pipe or three pipe system (not sure how much it matters for our purposes)

If working on EnergyPro v4 you have to download a special patch created with Daikin. It was great before EP5 but I've found this patched v4 to be a bit buggy (and it messes with your regular non VRF calcs - so you have to reinstall to work on regular projects). If in CA, the patched v4 VRF version is not recognized for Title 24, but if you're outside CA you won't have that problem.

Keep in mind that EnergyPro v5 still has an issue with Exception G3.1.1(a) for non-predominant conditions over 20,000 SF - so keep that in mind. It's a known issue and is being worked on last time I checked.

FYI - VRF is the industry term - VRV is the same thing but for a specific manufacturer - think the word 'kleenex' (VRV) w.r.t tissues (VRF)

Christopher Zabaneh, LEED AP BD+C

Davis Langdon
301 Arizona Avenue
Suite 301
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Main: (310) 393-9411 x 2160
Fax: (310) 393-7493
czabaneh at davislangdon.us<mailto:czabaneh at davislangdon.us>
http://www.davislangdon.com/

A carbon neutral company<http://www.davislangdon.com/USA/Research/ResearchFinder/Davis-Langdon-Greening-Report/>

This email, along with any attached files, is confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email.