[Equest-users] Difference between wizard and detailed mode

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Apr 13 16:55:39 PDT 2011

Travis,

To this latest question - you can go either way.  Modeling a separate zone for each VAV is more accurate and permits specifying varying capacities/loads/scheduling within the spaces.  I perceive this as a necessary degree of accuracy for something like a LEED submittal.  Calling it one zone means you're modeling one monster VAV which will approximate all 20 VAV's in combination, operating in sync.  The capacities (heating/cooling/airflow) will autosize large enough to handle all zones at once and you'd specify "representative" efficiencies/scheduling/fan kw/cfm and so forth to roughly equate to a "typical" unit.  This level of accuracy is what I'd call normal/fine for modeling to compare various HVAC systems to approximate relative changes to other elements like LPD or setback scheduling.  What level of accuracy you "need" is entirely up to the modeler (and reviewer, if applicable).

Regarding Carol's response earlier:

Carol is quite right and raises a point I forgot to mention - the issues below are entirely "fixable" within detailed mode (as with most things).  I took an approach to outline "what went wrong" in wizard mode however as it was apparent Travis had a clear goal and simply missed something along the way, after seemingly doing everything else right.

I fully agree with Carol that these particular issues are just as quick (if not quicker) to resolve in detailed mode.  In my humble opinion though, taking a few minutes to learn how to use the wizards correctly is worth the extra effort as you won't be making the same mistakes to fix in your next models =).  To be clear, there's nothing in the wizards you can't do in detailed mode - the only compelling reason to "go back" to wizards is if you (1) have nothing/little to lose (you haven't done much work in detailed mode) or (2) you feel the time saved making a change in the wizards will outweigh the time lost re-doing the detailed mode work (like when your zone map has completely changed up).

I prescribe to the following mantra: "Use the wizards to their fullest time-saving extent prior to entering detailed mode."  Another way to put is "do as much as you can that you can't do faster in detailed mode."  This is obviously a moving target that varies project-by-project and with one's experience level, but it's what I strive for and this philosophy illustrates that the question of when to get out of the wizards never has a black and white answer.

Some prefer to get out of wizards ASAP because they're very fast/comfortable with detailed edits, while others spend time wrestling with the wizards far longer than they should to achieve things that are done more quickly/easily in detailed mode.  I was solidly in the latter camp when first learning eQuest and feeling apprehensive about detailed mode, and I know others have the same hurdle... but in time everyone strikes a personal balance and preference - you really figure this stuff out with experience and trying new things.  I'm self-taught for the most part, but learning what is most efficiently done before/after the wizards is an area of knowledge I would expect to be covered in quality formal training at various levels, as this is the sort of topic that otherwise requires "doing it wrong once" to really learn.

I'll be out of the office thru the rest of this week, but Travis if you or anyone else is interested in how to accomplish the same edits in detailed mode and can't figure it out, simply ask!  I'm sure Carol and others would be willing to help as individual time allows ;).

Happy to help and best of luck!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER