[Equest-users] Design Light Levels

Jeremy Poling Jeremy.Poling at transwestern.net
Thu Apr 21 08:25:48 PDT 2011

>From the help file:

LIGHT-SET-POINT1, LIGHT-SET-POINT2

Give the desired illuminance level at LIGHT-REF-POINT1 and
LIGHT-REF-POINT2, respectively. Recommended values, which depend on type
of activity, occupant age, and other factors, may be found on p. 460ff
of the Lighting Handbook, Eighth Edition, 1995, Illuminating Engineering
Society of North America. Typical values are shown in Table 28
<JavaScript:TL_10761.HHClick()> . It is assumed that this lighting level
will be produced by the overhead electric lights at full output . These
setpoints may be chosen to be lower when the overhead lights provide
ambient lighting that is supplemented by task lighting. (The illuminance
from task lighting is not included in LIGHT-SET-POINT1 or
LIGHT-SET-POINT2.)

The two different keywords allow for two separate control zones within
each space/zone defined in the model.

Note: you can change this under the "Internal Loads" screen for each
zone, either by going to an individual zone or by using the spreadsheet
mode - it doesn't have to be done by editing the INP file.

If you want to have a place to adjust it easily or to look at parametric
analysis of results for different set points, create a global parameter
(e.g. "Daylight FC") of type "Numerical Value" and set it to your
current design set point.  Then, in either spreadsheet mode or on the
daylighting tab for each zone, right click on the "Light Set Point (fc)"
value and "Edit/View User Expression".  Type in #PA("Daylight FC").
Each time you change the value of that global parameter, either in the
interface or through a parametric analysis, each system set to use that
global parameter will also change.

Jeremy R. Poling, PE, LEED AP+BDC