[Equest-users] Chillers in Series inputs

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:03:34 PDT 2011

Thanks Rob & James for your prompt input to my dilemma....after I sent the
email to the list, I went back in my plants to try and make sense why the
secondary wasn't seeing a load--so for a random test I switched the
assignement of the two chillers (just reversed which loops they are on.) and
then ran the sim without errors.  That was the good news.   I don't have my
head around the logic of why that worked on the first try, but maybe I was
having some dislexia-input moments and spec'd my chiller conditions
backwards (i.e. high chiller & low chiller in the series).

Since it has ran I noticed an immediate reduction in chiller energy use, but
I haven't yet verified if the reduction is realistic and if there are any
other QC error type things to verify that this approach is indeed modeling
the chiller temps in series.   I don't think I will mess with custom chiller
curves at this point because this project model is only SD.  Therefore I
won't be held to any compliance reviews and strict performance results...at
least not at this point in time.

I'll try to send feedback when I can verify that this is a valid input
option for chillers in series, or if it holds no water at all...

Cheers,
Pasha