[Equest-users] Ceramic Insulating Paint Additives

Sami, Vikram Vikram.Sami at perkinswill.com
Mon Aug 8 18:55:47 PDT 2011

I'm pretty sure the ceramic additives do not really affect R-value. They affect the emittance of the paint surface (low-e paints use this). As far as I know you cannot account for surface emittance in eQUEST.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work or it doesn't have benefits - however you need to be careful when you mix thermal metaphors. It may be ok to assume an added R-value for this paint, but I doubt it. Its probablye more effective in hot climates than in cool climates - but additional R-value will have more effect in cold climates than in hotter ones. (this is a guess - I haven't done any simulations to support this).

Other simulation programs like E+ or IESVE might be able to simulate emittance better, but I can't speak to that.

Good luck.

-Vikram