[Equest-users] Ceramic Insulating Paint Additives

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Tue Aug 9 06:16:29 PDT 2011

Federico,

I have no experience using ceramic paint additives. This document
provides some engineering background, and also concludes that, "the
benefit of this product over time on exterior walls... very likely may
be small.":

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/AHT_Insuladd%5B1%5D.pdf%20Ceramic-ba
sed%20paint%20additive.pdf

You can, however, try modeling this in eQUEST. Using the values
discussed in the link, adjust both the absorptance and emissivity of the
walls. ABSORPTANCE - CONSTRUCTION is a property of the exterior wall
construction. OUTSIDE-EMISS - EXTERIOR WALL is under the Daylighting -
Shading - Other tab of each wall surface.

You will probably find that the energy impact is minimal, and therefore
not cost-justified. Appendix G only allows for different absorptance
(1-reflectance) for white/cool roofs, and does not address emissivity.
Therefore, I think you would have to submit a CIR with good supporting
documentation to justify using different absorptance and emissivity
values for the Proposed and Baseline exterior walls.

Regards,
Bill