[Equest-users] DOAS in baseline

Mirza Sajjal Mirza.Sajjal at BuroHappold.com
Tue Feb 1 06:27:22 PST 2011

This is a CIR that was recently answered in regards to DOAS systems in
the baseline:

FINAL Ruling:

The applicant is requesting clarification of the baseline building
modeling requirements for outside air delivery and energy recovery when
the proposed design system utilizes a 100% dedicated outside air unit
ducted to zone fan coil units, and where each fan coil unit has a supply
volume less than 5,000 cfm and an outside air ratio less than 70%. The
baseline building should be modeled with the systems defined in ASHRAE
90.1-2007 Appendix G Section G3.1.1, with ventilation rates identical to
those of the proposed building, and with untreated outside air ducted
directly to the units (no dedicated make up air unit). Energy recovery
would not be required for the Baseline Case for this project since the
energy recovery requirement is determined based on the properties of
each individual Baseline Case air handler (not based on the total
building supply air flow and percentage outside air).  Fan coils or air
handlers in the Baseline Case would be required to be modeled with
energy recovery only if the conditions of Section G3.1.2.10 apply (i.e.
design supply air capacity for the air handler greater than 5,000 cfm
and a minimum outdoor air supply of 70% or greater).

Mirza