[Equest-users] Incentives for NU Modelers and LEED APs

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 08:59:01 PST 2011

I too think you are right to do this, and should post on the other bldg-sim,
and maybe all the other lists too.   This is a HUGE mistake and detriment to
all simulators, and it is an insult to us experienced simulators to dictate
that a PE has to review the sims...majority of the  PE's I know and work
with are not simulators and know very little about simulation, let alone
enough to review one properly--which is why I'm getting hired by them
because I know simulation(s).  I would sooner trust a non-PE with direct
simulation experience over a PE with little sim experience to review my own
models...

Also I agree with David, and I will recommend to the contact you provided,
that the BEMP certification is a much better measure of true simulation
understanding, experience, and knowledge for review of simulations.   I
think of the BEMP as the 'PE' for simulators--if someone can achieve the
BEMP certification, at this point in time it is a better qualifier for
simulation experience and knowledge than a PE would anyday---are there even
any question on building energy simulation on the MECH PE exam?   Maybe
there are sim questions on the new ARCH ENG PE exam for building designers?
Does anyone know?

There is likely to be much BIGGER issues with the quality of simulations
that woud be submitted if they are being reviewed by inexperienced PE's who
are dictating changes to the model that wouldn't be appropriate based on the
software limitations that are so inherent in all of the whole building
simulation programs that are on the market currently.  It is less likely for
a random PE to be aware of these software limitations than a BEMP.

Pasha