[Equest-users] first time eQuest LEED project questions

Chris Hanzel ChrisHanzel at w-and-k.com
Fri Jul 8 09:33:04 PDT 2011

Greetings,

I am working on my first LEED project using eQuest and have received multiple comments on my submittal for EAp2: Minimum Energy Performance.  Attached are the 11 review comments.  I have many questions and will try to explain my level of eQuest knowledge below so you can get a sense of where I am at.

--Here is my understanding of eQuest:

1.       I make my Proposed design model in eQuest.

2.       I perform the simulation.

3.       I perform the compliance analysis and it makes a Baseline model.

4.       I export file LEED results which gives me the excel spreadsheet of data that compares the Proposed model to the Baseline model that was just created.  I used this info to fill out the EA forms online.

--My questions regarding changes in eQuest that are related to modifying the Baseline after you have run your Proposed design:

1.       How do you make the changes in the Baseline model?

2.       And then how do I compare this modified baseline against the Proposed design model, like using the compliance analysis button?  Won't this just regenerate another new Baseline?

3.       How do I then export the LEED excel file?

--My questions regarding making the changes specific to the comments are as follows:

1.       How do I change the wall to window ratio in the Baseline case that is created?

2.       How do I change the U-value in the Baseline case that is created?

3.       How do I add the heating system in the Baseline case?

4.       How do I verify whether the system was sized on a 20 degree-F temp difference?  Where do I make these changes for the Baseline and Proposed cases?

5.       Where do I make the changes to the fan power for the Baseline and Proposed cases?

6.       Where do I make the changes to for the minimum outside airflow for the Baseline and Proposed cases?  How do I model it with zero outside airflow when fans are cycled on to meet unoccupied setback temperatures?

7.       How do I change the fan operating times based on occupancy in the Baseline case that is created?

8.       How do I add the service water heating system in the Baseline case?

9.       How do I change the lighting power in the Baseline case that is created?

10.   What is the correct method to model occupancy sensors for the Proposed case?  How adjustable are the parameters (# of minutes stays on after the last person is detected)?

11.   How do I add exterior lighting power in the Baseline case that is created?

OPTIONAL but may help my performance:

12.   I am using a solar hot water system for the domestic hot water.  How do I model the input information of the solar water heating system for the Proposed case?

Thank you in advance for wading through all of my questions and helping a newbie with eQuest and LEED.

Thanks,

[cid:image001.png at 01CC3D4C.86F4A2D0]

Christopher S. Hanzel, PE, LEED AP | Mechanical Engineer

Winzler & Kelly
417 Montgomery Street, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94104

Tel: 415.283.4970 | Fax: 415.283.4980 | Cell: 510.207.9518
www. w-and-k.com<http://www.w-and-k.com/>

Electronic files are provided only for convenience. Any conclusions or information obtained or derived from such electronic files will be at user's sole risk. If there is a discrepancy between the information provided by Winzler & Kelly contained in electronic files and printed copies, the printed copies shall govern.