[Equest-users] HVAC part load efficiencies

Alea German agerman at davisenergy.com
Mon Mar 28 11:53:55 PDT 2011

Hi Shalini,

The effects of part load are taking into account in the performance curves. There are part load curves for cooling and heating EIR/HIR under the Unitary Power tab, and for Capacity under the Capacity Curves tab. On the water side you can also define curves under the Performance Curves tab. Take a look at this topic in the DOE2 help in eQUEST: "CURVE-FIT for Equipment performance."

I do not know too much about this topic but I understand that it's something that in the past has not been handled too well in DOE2. I'm not sure what type of systems you are modeling but there is a paper by Henderson, Parker, & Huang that presents alternative EIR plr curves over the DOE2 default for light commercial and residential systems. You should be able to find the paper online: "Improving DOE-2's RESYS routine: User Defined Functions to Provide More Accurate Part Load Energy Use and Humidity Predictions."  I've used these curves for a "typical AC" in the past .

Hope this helps some. I'd love to hear others input on this matter.

Alea German
Staff Engineer
Davis Energy Group
agerman at davisenergy.com<mailto:agerman at davisenergy.com>