[Equest-users] Baseline Heat Pump vs Geothermal HP

nic ffonics at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 07:48:08 PDT 2011

Hello,
I am becoming concerned with how much better my geothermal Heat Pump modeled
as PVVT (with geo HP under heating cooling respectively) are performing over
the Ashrae Baseline required system 4 (Packaged Single Zone HP).  I am
approaching the 40-50% mark.  I understand that the geothermal system should
be appreciably less in energy consumption since there is little energy spent
on the heat sink other than pumps.

Both were specified by Equest through wizard selection, but the PVVT Geo HP
system was confirmed to be the best selection for a multizone system in a
Equest users response.

Am I correct in thinking that the Single Zone HP are incorrectly duplicating
themselves for each zone serviced?  Therefore, increasing the energy
consumption.  Whereas, each PVVT system can service multiple zones.

Should I use the PVVT system for the baseline and modify it to simulate a
PSZ-HP?

Thanks for any help.