[Equest-users] Review Comment - Equipment capacities fortheProposed

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Oct 6 09:32:56 PDT 2011

Omar,

By extension, you'll want to watch for any changes in your proposed
model's underheated/undercooled hours.  eQuest makes generally sensible
assumptions regarding occupancies, internal loads and scheduling - but
these do not always agree with the HVAC designer's calculations and can
result in fairly different heating/cooling requirements for some spaces.
For this and future LEED modeling, you should plan on incorporating some
degree of QC between the load calculations used for equipment sizing and
your model's inputs, to avoid excessive undercooled/heated hours.

If you reach this stage of QC at an early enough stage of design (i.e.
before 100% documents), eQuest models can serve as a QC check for the
HVAC design as well, bringing to light loads/ventilation
requirements/etc... that were not considered in earlier HVAC equipment
sizing.

Also, since your reviewer is definitely going to be looking for matching
airflows on your resubmittal - remember to pay close attention to the
effects of site elevation within eQuest and take that into account when
entering scheduled capacities.  Plenty of discussion in the archives.

Good luck!

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER