[Equest-users] Adding Insulation to existing building(UNCLASSIFIED)

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Sep 7 13:00:11 PDT 2011

Agreeing with John per usual...

Any building with internal loads will have some break-point where adding
more insulation to the envelope will be detrimental to annual energy
consumption.  It's a bigger deal whenever your internals are relatively
high.  The behavior you're describing is fundamentally sound.

A good thermos keeps my coffee hot longer (great in the wintertime), but
it's not the ideal container when my coffee is scalding-hot and I want
the contents to cool down.

I've yet to settle on a favorite analogy myself... this just comes to
mind because I need to make a new pot here at work...

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers
25501 west valley parkway, suite 200