[Equest-users] Adding Insulation to existing building(UNCLASSIFIED)

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Wed Sep 7 13:37:58 PDT 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

On this topic, I believe the increase in cooling energy will not happen if
you have an economizer. Theory:  The insulation keeps the outside temperature
outside.  When the economizer run, it will bring the outside temperature
inside, in effect negating the insulation.  (Artificially lowering the R
value)  So the cooling load should not increase with an economizer.

Am I missing something in my logic?

I have ran some models and the cooling load still went up even though I had
an economizer.

I use Trace so I don't know if e-quest does a better job on this, but in
theory super-insulating shouldn't be a problem if an economizer is present.

One thing that might be happening is that the economizer runs if the certain
conditions allow, but the program does not look at the tradeoff between fan
energy and compressor energy.  If the outside air is 58 degrees the
economizer will run and the fan will have to run a lot, but it might take
less energy to run the compressor and the fan would run less.

This leads into a common discussion in my office.  If it is more efficient to
produce colder chilled water and reduce the chilled water pump speed, or vary
chilled water temp and keep the chilled water pump speed steady?  It is a
multi-variable complex problem.  At the level of determining if it is more
efficient to reduce fans, compressors or pumps I think the modeling software
does not have the resolution.  If the piping was installed with too many
bends, it may be better to reduce the pump speed. If the compressor was
manufactured just a little out of tolerance it may be better to reduce the
fluid temperature.  I don't want to say it is splitting hairs, but it is
getting close.

What is really needed is a smart system that can every try different things
(lowering water temp vs lowering fan speed) and determine which uses less
energy for that building.  (but then I fear the buildings would learn too
much and when I adjust the thermostat; H.A.L would say "I'm sorry Dave, I can
not allow you to do that."