[Equest-users] Urgent request

Joe Huang YJHuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun Apr 15 12:15:16 PDT 2012

Sharma,

eQUEST is a program developed in the US, so its compliance rule set
might not work for locations outside of the US.
Or the rule set might be failing because it doesn't know the ASHRAE
climate region for your location (Mumbai).
I assume that you have a weather file for Mumbai.  I recently created
last year a set of weather files for 38 Indian locations
for ISHRAE, so if you have any problems there, just give me a holler.

However, even if you get these practical problems resolved, I question
the logic of creating an ASHRAE-90 building as the
reference or comparison building for your study, which would set all the
building conditions to ASHRAE-90 requirements.
I would recommend that, instead, you create a reference building based
on India's ECBC, or if you don't think that's being
widely followed yet,  on what you think are the typical construction and
operating conditions in Mumbai.  I can also think
of several friends in India, even Mumbai, that I could recommend if you
need help.

It seems that you're thinking of modeling a green roof as an additional
soil layer.  That's okay for starters, but if that's the
topic of your thesis, you should do a more careful job and incorporate
the following characteristics that makes a green
roof differ from just 20 cm of dirt on top:  (1) changing soil moisture
depending on the time of year and rainfall, and (2) evaporatranspiration
that would keep the soil surface temperature low on sunny days.

This is not a marketing pitch, but in DOE-2.1E (an earlier version of
the DOE-2.2 engine in eQUEST) that I still use, there
is a feature called "Functions" that would allow users to insert
additional code in pseudo-Fortran to model processes
not covered by the program.  If you're interested, we can discuss more
offline.  Again, this is not a marketing pitch.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D