[Equest-users] Defining Building and Fixed Shades using Coordinates Alone

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Apr 17 15:48:05 PDT 2012

Our understandings differ a bit - I can affirm that I and others have tested and shades defined as I'm describing/showing do their job and shade other surfaces that are components of other spaces/shells.

Here's my understanding bulleted out for clarity...  I might be off here so feel free to correct me:

-          Building shades:  Shade everything

-          External surfaces (roofs, walls) generally:  Shade everything as well, unless you set the "self shading" input to "no"

-          Shades defined as a child components of a window (fins/overhangs):  Shade only that window, not the surrounding wall surfaces or adjacent windows

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers