[Equest-users] outside air flow during unoccupied/setback hours

Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr. poleary1969 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:52:15 PDT 2012

is this a leed 2.2 or 3.0 project?

i'm guessing, without looking in my leed manuals, this is a usgbc
requirement for at least 2.2.  for leed 3, 90.1-2007, appendix g, table
3.1, no. 4 schedules, specifically states the "hvac fans that provide
outdoor air for ventilation shall run continuously whenever spaces are
occupied and shall be cycled on and off to meet heating and cooling
loads during unoccupied hours."  90.1-2004 doesn't specify fans
specifically for outdoor air for ventilation, it just says hvac fans -
which is the same as the system supply fan in a non-doas/economizer
capable of completely closing the outdoor air damper system so the
outdoor air can't be shut off.

so the comment is contrary to the 90.1-2007 (and/or 2004 depending on
systems) simulation requirement.  the 90.1-2004 user's manual appendix g
section doesn't address the scheduling for hvac fans during unoccupied
modes.