[Equest-users] Active Chilled Beams, DOAS and geothermal system

Miller, Jessica JMiller at trojb.com
Fri Aug 24 05:36:20 PDT 2012

Good morning,

The project I am working on has a geothermal water source heat pump
system with back up boilers and fluid cooler.  We have a VAV unit
serving the majority of core spaces and DOAS units serving chilled beams
for perimeter spaces.

I am considering modeling the geothermal system after the multistack
units in eQUEST described by Dana
(http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/201
1-February/007763.html) because the method I am currently using with the
chillers set to LOOP-TO-LOOP-HP seems like it might not be the best way.
I also have problems attaching the fluid cooler to the system with this
method (the simulation won't go past 18%).

I am modeling an active chilled beam system served by a DOAS.  I've been
seeing both an IU and PIU system used.  Can anyone tell me which one
they think is better?  And some tips they can give about using this
method?  I've searched through the forums but some of the information
seems like it is from a few years ago so I wanted to see if anyone made
any more progress!

Any help is much appreciated!  Thank you!

Jessica K. Miller, EIT, LEED(r) AP

Associate

HVAC Engineering

TRO Jung|Brannen