[Equest-users] Active Chilled Beams, DOAS and geothermal system

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Wed Aug 29 13:23:22 PDT 2012

Jessica,

Using eQuest to model DOAS and chilled beams is highly problematic. I coauthored an IBPSA paper for SimBuild 2012 earlier this month that elaborates on this process. See session 10b for the paper titled, "Issues Arising from the Use of Chilled Beams in Energy Models".
http://www.ibpsa.us/simbuild2012/technical_sessions.shtml

Modeling any sort of complex plant system in eQuest is also problematic. I've never used the method described by Dana, but I'm skeptical about any complex plant controls in eQuest.

For complex plants we use TRNSYS, which is moderately difficult to use, but allows total flexibility for plant design. What we do is export hourly loads from eQuest and read those into TRNSYS. Modeling buildings in TRNSYS isn't the easiest task either so the combination of the two software is what we've settled on.

You can then create performance maps, stage equipment on/off, etc. I have used Multistack heat pumps based on performance maps I created with Multistack's data frequently within TRNSYS with promising results.

Unfortunately there aren't easy solutions to this type of modeling problem.

Good luck in your modeling efforts.

Fred

Fred Betz  PhD., LEED AP
Sustainable Systems Analyst

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com<mailto:fbetz at aeieng.com>  |  www.aeieng.com<http://www.aeieng.com/>