[Equest-users] Cogeneration with thermal tracking

Osser, Roselin roselin.osser at wspfk.com
Thu Jul 5 10:16:17 PDT 2012

Hi eQuest users,

Has anyone successfully modeled a cogeneration system in eQuest with a control system preventing the generators from turning on until a certain minimum heating load threshold is reached?

This is my first time using the generators in eQuest.  I am trying to follow "Example 4. Thermal Tracking with Surplus Sale" in the DOE-2 user's manual (available by going to Help, DOE-2 Help, and searching for "Example 4" in eQuest). When I get to the setup for the EQUIP-CTRL, the example indicates that generators can be selected along with boilers when the EQUIP-CTRL is of TYPE = HEATING with the HW loop selected as CIRCULATION-LOOP.  However, only my boilers show up as options in the pull-down menu in the tab "Load Range 1" under "Boiler Name." The generators do not appear as options here unless TYPE = ELECTRICAL is selected. This is not desired because I wish to control the generator operation based on a minimum heating load, not a minimum electrical load.  I am able to set up the rest of the components in Example 4.

I tried editing the input file to manually add the generators to the control system; I was able to run eQuest with this code:

"Generator Control" = EQUIP-CTRL
   TYPE             = HEATING
   CIRCULATION-LOOP = "Hot Water Loop"
   LOADS-THRU-1     = 3.75
   LOADS-THRU-2     = 100
   BOILERS-1        = ( "Boiler 1", "Boiler 2" )
   GENERATORS-2     = ( "Elec Gen 1", "Elec Gen 2" )
   ..

After doing more experiments, however, it looks like there might be some additional bugs with the control system algorithm.  For example, if I put in a generator capacity of 1000kW, hourly outputs show that slightly less than 100kW is generated.  If I change the capacity to 10,000 kW, slightly less than 1,000 is generated.  Additionally, the generator doesn’t seem to respond to the  “LOADS-THRU” keyword; it comes on even if the LOADS-THRU-1 value is never reached.

In addition to these issues I’m not sure if I correctly understand how to use the GENERATOR-SEQ keywords used in Example 4; I couldn’t find a good explanation in the help file.  No luck with these issues on the BLDG-SIM list either.

If anyone has any tips or knowledge that these options in eQuest are not currently operational, I would be happy to hear from you.

Thank you,

Rosie

Roselin Osser, PE, BEMP, LEED AP BD+C
WSP ▪ FLACK + KURTZ
88 Black Falcon Ave
Boston, MA
Direct: 617-210-1730 | Main: 617-210-1600
www.wspfk.com<http://www.wspfk.com/>

Ensuring that today’s built environment preserves the natural environment in which we all live.

We are WSP. United by our difference.

WSP is one of the world’s fastest-growing design, engineering and management consultancies. Specializing in property, transport and environmental projects, we work with clients to create built and natural environments for the future.

CONFIDENTIAL
This e-mail is confidential to the named recipient. If you have received a copy in error, please destroy it. You may not use or disclose the contents of this e-mail to anyone, nor take copies of it. The only copies permitted are (1) by the named recipient and (2) for the purposes of completing successful electronic transmission to the named recipient and then only on the condition that these copies, with this notice attached, are kept confidential until destruction