[Equest-users] Unexpected Custom SHGC Results

Peter Baumstark pbaumstark at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 14 11:51:02 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have an "L" shaped building with the point of the "L" facing North.  The
inside of the "L" has both NE and NW surfaces, that include a high amount of
glass, which heats up the perimeter building spaces considerably during the
summer.  Glazing is single pane tinted.

The customer wants to install some Verisol SilverScreen shades in these
windows.  According to the manufacturer, the SHGC will reduce by about 33%.  I
modeled in eQUEST, window properties in these windows to have an SHGC of 0.67
and ran an EEM reducing SHGC to 0.34, and got an increase in cooling load and
fan load year round, even in the summer months.

Am I seeing this wrong?  I can't figure out how I could possible get results
like this?

Thank you,
Pete
San Jose, CA