[Equest-users] GLHX Loop Temperatures Look Low

Stormy L. Shanks shankssl at kjww.com
Tue Jul 24 07:39:50 PDT 2012

eQUEST Users,

I have been working on a LEED eQUEST model that includes ground source heat pumps in Iowa. I modeled the GLHX as closely as I could. There are 120 vertical bores. I specified an hourly report with the Outlet Temperature of the ground loop heat exchanger. It looks as if the temperature never gets above 58 degrees or so even in the summer cooling months. That doesn't seem at all realistic and it would result in higher energy savings than is realistic. Is eQUEST just limited in how well it can calculate the GLHX loop temperatures, or is it likely that I've got something wrong in my system definition? I've seen some archived discussions of a free software called GS2000 that can help size borefields and provide loop temperatures. Is that software still available for free download or is there a free alternative?

Also, is there a way to specify the condenser water flow through the heat pumps instead of the delta T? The heat pumps will always have the same flow as long as the compressor is running, but I don't see a way of specifying that.

Thank you,

Stormy Shanks
Mechanical Engineer
KJWW Engineering Consultants

This message and any attachments contain information intended for a specific party and may include sensitive or confidential material. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use, or disclose to others.  Please notify the sender of the delivery error by reply and then permanently delete this message and all attachments.