[Equest-users] Increased Energy for Cooling with Increasing Insulation and Decreasing Infiltration

Daniel Wright dwright2 at pratt.edu
Sun Jun 10 22:02:48 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I am a relatively new eQuest user and am encountering some non-intuitive
results.

If I make an eQuest model for a default building using just the default
values for everything, and then use the Energy Efficiency Measurement
Wizard to increase the insulation (roof or wall) or decrease the
infiltration, I see the annual energy used for heating decrease in both
cases (which I would expect), and the cooling energy increase in both cases
(which I wouldn't expect). I've tried this for two of the default building
types (Two story office building and Mutifamily low rise) and two different
climates (LA and NYC), and get the same results. I've also seen the same
behavior in other building models that I've created that differ in many
respects to these default cases.

Can someone please explain how this is possible?

Dan