[Equest-users] DOE-2 Processor (Converting Weather Files)

Jonathan Bowser JonathanBowser at beck-technology.com
Tue Jun 12 13:44:57 PDT 2012

I recently received weather data for a location in Korea, and I needed to use the DOE-2 Processor package from doe2.com to convert the TXT file to BIN format.  To validate the conversion, I decided to round trip the data from TXT to BIN and then from BIN back to TXT using the utilities provided within the DOE-2 Processor package.

When I did this, I noticed that the data is being rounded somewhere in the process - either in the conversion from TXT to BIN or in the conversion from BIN back to TXT. Specifically, it's rounding the numbers for Specific Enthalpy, Total Hor. Solar, and Dir. Normal Solar.  The rounding itself appears to be rounding to the closest of one of three things: rounding down (i.e. 4.1 rounds to 4.0), rounding to .5 (i.e. 4.3 rounds to 4.5), or rounding up (i.e. 4.8 rounds to 5.0).

Has anyone had experience using the TXT2BIN and/or BIN2TXT utilities provided in the DOE-2 Processor package?  Is this rounding something to be concerned about, or is it generally considered close enough?

-- Jon

Jonathan Bowser, MCPD

Senior Software Engineer

Beck Technology

1807 Ross Avenue, Suite 500

Dallas, TX 75201

(214) 303-6815

www.beck-technology.com<http://www.beck-technology.com/>

Innovation in All Dimensions

This e-mail may be privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete from all computers.