[Equest-users] Revert efficiencies to autosize from detailed?

Laura Howe, RCE laurahowe.rce at qwestoffice.net
Tue Jun 12 13:50:40 PDT 2012

The modeler used heat pump for heating and cooling.  The exact comment is
long (too long for me to type, about 1/3 of a page), but it does talk to
using proper efficiency based on Equest autosizing (which as far as I can
tell autosizing was used, however there may be issues with the internal
loads used, that's another thing to investigate).  I'm not sure how the
dummy project example you give will work, without fully building the
facility and loads in a model, autosizing isn't going to really work since
the required efficiency is based on system capacity?  I'm thinking I will
work with the apparent system sizing I have now, update the efficiency
based on 90.1, rerun and hope the sizing stays within the same category.
Iterate if necessary.

The comment also brought up the need to break out fan energy from
cooling/heating energy, which I guess I had hoped would be worked out with
reverting to default.  In response to Nathan's comments, I will review this
topic in the latest forums (this one and bldg-sim being the only two I use,
any others pertinent?) and hopefully get it straightened out.

On the flip side, a non-mandatory point is that they also seemed to use too
high of an efficiency for cooling.  Perhaps that will cancel out the low
heating efficiency in the end..

Thanks so much, anything else is appreciated.  I'm sure I'll be back once
I'm fully confused with splitting as Nathan talked about.