[Equest-users] Taking into account wind on building surface

Varkie C Thomas thomasv at iit.edu
Wed Nov 28 15:10:23 PST 2012

The following page http://bepan.info/proj-bldgs/p-14-tall-bldg-press on the website http://bepan.info/ is a preliminary investigation into infiltration in very tall bldgs that tries to take into account Stack Effect and Bldg Pressurization (stairwells, elevator shafts, etc.) on infiltration which would theoretically vary by floor level. The outside temperatures and wind velocities would also vary by floor level theoretically.  It is still being discussed and developed by a group in Chicago.  Please send me your views and ideas of how this should be done in an energy program and if you think that the present methods are adequate.  Examples of these bldgs are 828m Burj Khalifa Dubai and 1000m Kingdom Tower Jeddah.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Tower
Varkie Thomas
http://www.iit.edu/arch/faculty/thomas_varkie.shtml
Patrick,

eQUEST accounts for wind with most of the infiltration methodologies. From the Help screen...

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CDCD7F.94D32A60]

...and...

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CDCD7F.94D32A60]

Keith Swartz, PE, LEED AP
Senior Energy Engineer | Energy Center of Wisconsin | Madison.Chicago.Minneapolis
608.210.7123 | www.ecw.org<http://www.ecw.org/>