[Equest-users] U Factor Issue

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Tue Sep 4 07:44:28 PDT 2012

The U-factor reported in the .sim file includes
the frame effects - if frames have been
modelled.   If frames are modelled, each window may have a different U-factor
depending on the size of the window vs the amount
of framing.  A smaller window will have a poorer U-factor.

The other issue is that the Simplified method
asks for the Glass Conductance - not the U-factor.
 From the DOE22Vol2-Dictionary_47f.pdf manual:

GLASS-CONDUCTANCE
The conductance of the glazing, excluding the
outside air film coefficient. The conductance
given in glass manufacturers' data sheets usually
includes the outside air film resistance for a
wind speed of 7.5 mph (summer) or 15 mph
(winter). Table 10 can be used to obtain the
corresponding value of GLASS-CONDUCTANCE. For
example, if U(7.5 mph) = 0.64 Btu/ft2-hr-F, then
GLASS-CONDUCTANCE = 0.79 (by interpolation). For
Uvalues of different glazing types, see
manufacturers' data sheets or the ASHRAE 1989 Handbook of Fundamentals,
p. 27.16-17.

Emacs!