[Equest-users] Passive Solar and Adjacent Building Shading

Shai Shaul shai at ebsconsultants.com
Tue Aug 6 08:40:15 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have a project where the client would like to build a new addition to a 3 story residential house. The adjacent house next to it, uses a winter passive solar heating design, and its owner fears that the new addition building's shading will lower the overall useful hours for the passive solar heating in the winter months. Our client wants to figure out the overall estimated natural gas increase due to the reduction in the passive solar heating.

My questions are:

1.       Can eQuest model passive solar heating design?

2.       Can eQuest model adjacent building shading?

3.       If so, I am planning to build two models (with and without the building's addition) and check the natural gas increase from the baseline model. Any other thought of how this can be modeled?

Thanks for the help,

Shai

Shai Shaul | P.E.
Environmental Building Strategies | www.EBSconsultants.com<http://www.EBSconsultants.com>
O: (415) 329-7100 | M: (415) 309-9226 | shai at EBSconsultants.com<mailto:shai at EBSconsultants.com>
Twitter<https://twitter.com/EBSGreen> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/EBSconsultants> | Blog<http://blog.ebsconsultants.com/> | LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/environmental-building-strategies/>
461 2nd St. Suite C232
San Francisco, CA 94107