[Equest-users] Electric Baseboard Heat - Bug?

Jeremy Poling jeremy.poling at att.net
Mon Dec 23 09:59:13 PST 2013

I noticed a number of users on the list indicating they had trouble using
Outdoor Reset for baseboard heat control.  I am currently looking into a
building that has electric baseboards on (100% or nothing, no thermostatic
control) when OAT < 50F and off when OAT >= 50F.  Also, if a compressor
runs the baseboard is locked out.

Thermostatic control was underestimating the use of the baseboards, so I
set it to Outdoor Reset with a schedule that turned the baseboards on at
100% from -20F to 70F.  Upon doing so, no electric heat outside of the
reheat coils in the RTUs showed up on the electric meter.  I then setup an
hourly report for a few of the RTUs, just to check (there's 16, I setup
4).  For each RTU, I asked for Temp of air leaving heat coil - hot deck
temp (deg F), Total central heat coil output (Btu/hr), and Total baseboard
heat coil output (Btu/hr).  As expected, the same value shows up for each
hour that OAT <50F for the total baseboard heat coil output.

Regardless of which report I look at, it appears that with Outdoor Reset
enabled there is no way to get the baseboard heat to show up on the meter,
even though it is actually showing a load.

CSV and screen capture attached for backup purposes.  Can anyone think of
something I am missing?

Jeremy R. Poling, PE, LEED AP+BDC
Sustainability Consultant

Telephone: 414-375-9240