[Equest-users] Convert txt weather file to bin for eQuest

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Mar 12 17:36:01 PDT 2013

Belal,

I took a look at your text weather file. If  it's clean, i.e., all the elements are there
for every hour,  then the main difficulties are to calculate the following parameters that
are needed in the DOE-2/eQUEST *.BIN format, as well as to convert all the parameters from
SI to IP:

    calculate wet-bulb temperature from the dry-bulb and relative humidity
    calculate the humidity ratio
    calculate the enthalpy of air

You would also have to add a constant air pressure based on the location's elevation, and
then leave the rain and snow flags as 0's, but those aren't really used anyway.

There used to be a dummy Fortran subroutine called OTHER that a user could modify and then
compile with the DOE-2 weather processor program (also in Fortran), wthr.f,
but I've known of only a handful of people who's actually tried to use it all the years I
was at LBNL.   By now, I actually prefer to write my own program rather than struggling
with the syntax of wthr.f

Since I do this type of stuff (process weather data) all the time, I could probably
convert this file for you to eQUEST in less than an hour, but I would have to charge you.
Let me know if you're interested.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.