[Equest-users] Baseline zoning

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu May 30 11:03:00 PDT 2013

I sense 2 questions are being asked simultaneously, but only 1 has been answered…

·         Baseline zoning should match the proposed design

·         Baseline VAV/FPVAV systems should have one terminal unit per zone (matching proposed).  All baseline VAV/FPVAV terminals on a given floor are served by a single central air handling unit, in your case with chilled water coils served by 1 or more baseline chillers.   These elements together make up the “system per floor.”  In this way, you get one set of baseline supply/return fans to calculate per floor.

·         Put another way: Baseline VAV systems are not intended to be modeled as a series of single zone systems, but rather as one air handling unit per floor serving one terminal unit per zone.

I might suggest considering the baseline FPVAV boxes as analogous to a VRV system’s cassettes: each cover the same area (zone) and use the same thermostat, but each is merely one component of a larger system.

Hope this helps,

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.