[Equest-users] eQuest - Electricity consumption for cooling in winter

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Nov 14 09:19:45 PST 2013

Hi Frantisek,

A few shotgun thoughts:

·         Does that space have unmet hours (see airside tab summary report after a simulation)?

·         Does the corresponding zone have a cooling thermostat schedule?  Not defining one means the zone won’t call for cooling.

·         Is the zone defined as “conditioned” and not “unconditioned” or “plenum?”

·         Are the other spaces sucking all the internal heat gains out through the partitions?

·         Is there exterior exposure (envelope) incident on the space doing the same?

This all assumes you’ve actually defined your computer server room as a distinct zone… If you only defined a percentage activity allocation for the server area within a larger zone (in wizards), your model likely isn’t detailed enough to capture a simultaneous call for heating and cooling between the different zones/systems.

If none of this helps, you might consider uploading your files to the mailing list to allow others to take a look.  I suggest doing a File --> Save As… into a new directory, then attaching the few files resulting.  Also be mindful to specify which version of eQuest you’re using.

Best of luck!
~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.