[Equest-users] eQuest Coordinates

Simge Andolsun simgeandolsun at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 12:11:52 PDT 2013

Dear eQuest users,

I need to read the absolute coordinates of the origin of each space (the
coordinates of each space origin with respect to the origin of the building
coordinate system) from the .inp file that eQuest creates. I need
to do this so that I can locate the spaces side by side or one over the
other in the correct order in another program. I checked whether the X, Y
and Z commands were used under the SPACE command of the DOE-2.2 inp to
figure this out. But, it turns out that the DOE-2.2 input file does not
have the X, Y, Z commands used for the spaces. Below is an example SPACE
command in the DOE-2.2 input (.inp) file that eQuest creates. Would you
please let me know which command in the .inp file below would be helpful
for me to extract the information necessary to locate the zones correctly
with respect to the building origin?

"L1 Zone3" = SPACE
   SHAPE            = POLYGON
   ZONE-TYPE        = CONDITIONED
   PEOPLE-SCHEDULE  = "EL1 Bldg Occup Sch"
   LIGHTING-SCHEDUL = ( "EL1 Bldg InsLt Sch" )
   EQUIP-SCHEDULE   = ( "EL1 Bldg Misc Sch" )
   INF-SCHEDULE     = "ZG1-S1 (PSZ) P-Inf Sch"
   INF-METHOD       = AIR-CHANGE
   INF-FLOW/AREA    = 0.0277204
   PEOPLE-HG-LAT    = 250
   PEOPLE-HG-SENS   = 250
   EQUIP-LATENT     = ( 0 )
   EQUIP-SENSIBLE   = ( 1 )
   PEOPLE-HEAT-GAIN = 417
   LIGHTING-W/AREA  = ( 1.5 )
   EQUIPMENT-W/AREA = ( 1 )
   AREA/PERSON      = 100
   POLYGON          = "EL1 Space Polygon 3"
   LOCATION         = FLOOR-V44
   C-SUB-SRC-BTUH   = ( 0, 0, 0 )
   C-SUB-SRC-KW     = ( 0, 0, 0 )
   C-ACTIVITY-DESC  = *Classroom / Lecture (70%)*
   ..
"EL1 West Wall (G.W3.E6)" = EXTERIOR-WALL
   CONSTRUCTION     = "Wall Const"
   LOCATION         = SPACE-V1
   ..
"EL1 West Win (G.W3.E6.W1)" = WINDOW
   GLASS-TYPE       = "All G-Type"
   FRAME-WIDTH      = 0.108333
   X                = 1.98833
   Y                = 3.10833
   HEIGHT           = 5.00333
   WIDTH            = 3.78333
   FRAME-CONDUCT    = 2.781
   ..
"EL1 Roof (G.W3.E7)" = EXTERIOR-WALL
   CONSTRUCTION     = "Roof Const"
   LOCATION         = TOP
   ..
"EL1 Flr (G.W3.U3)" = UNDERGROUND-WALL
   CONSTRUCTION     = "Floor Const"
   LOCATION         = BOTTOM

Thank you very much in advance for your help,
Looking forward to hearing from you,

Best Regards,
Simge Andolsun, Ph.D., M.S.
   ..